The Justiss Journey

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day Three in Scotland

Today was for sure the hardest day so far.  It is a Sunday so waking up and not going to Stonebridge Church is sad enough.  We had a church picked out to try out today, but we were all just too exhausted and emotional to go.  It took all I had to even get up and out of the bed today, and that is just NOT ME!!! 

On top of that, today my sweet niece, Briley will be baptized, and I can't be there. :(  We were hoping to get to watch it on facetime, but I have many doubts about how that will work. My computer skills rely solely on what Sonia can help me figure out, and she is now WAY TOO FAR AWAY to fix it!  Not to mention that we are six hours ahead of their time so that too would be a major issue.  We would have to be back at the hotel by 4:00 to see if it would work before so we would be ready and get the timing just right.  So needless to say, my mind was all over the place.

When we all got up and going, which was at least 11:00, we decided to go and get me a phone that would work in the UK.  This little adventure trip was going to cost Rusty a FORTUNE if I didn't find a phone with a international plan and FAST!  My three days of not communicating with the other side was OVER!!!  Don't get me wrong, I sent many texts and calls out while Rusty wasn't looking so stay tuned to how that will work out when the mail figures out how to get to us with the bill in it. oops!

Now keep in mind as this day plays out we are all still fighting the "Jet Lag" BEAST!  So testy, tension, and frustrated are the nice words I would use for how everyone was acting as we are getting ready to go.  We decided to try the mall first.  In order to do this little "errand", Rusty must drive the car (which by the way, he DID NOT take driving lessons AT ALL), we (noticed I said we because everthing is a joint effort these days) must figure out how the car seats will fit in the car, and we must find where to park the car once we find out how to get to the mall.  See where the tension might come out?



This is Rusty driving on the other side of the car AND on the other side of the road!!


Three must haves when you move to the UK, raincoat, umbrella, and a GPS!!!  Oh my the roads are a little confusing.  I am NOT looking forward to taking on driving.  Mr. Jim, my driving coach, made it seem so easy and simple, but Mr. Rusty made it look like a race car track.  I closed my eyes and prayed the whole way!  Thankfully, we made it there in one piece.  Oh you just think Texas has too little parking places.  The UK thinks you should park two cars in a space the size of ONE car space in Texas.  So you get to know the person who parked next to you quick if you park at the same time.  Some are nice, some NOT SO MUCH!


Denman didn't even know the car was moving.
He found some cards in the car so he was set!



Natlaie was a little scared too!

We are now safely parked and have our license plate number so we can be sure to get out.  I remember Angela, my Aberdeen friend that just moved to Houston,  told me to remember your plate number because they have a camera system that records your plates when you arrive and depart.  THANK YOU ANGELA!  So off we go to the "mall".  Now we visited this mall when we came for our "Look and See", but we took a taxi back and forth because I didn't trust Rusty's driving at the time. He has gotten better just a little too fast for me.  We head to the first phone store to see what plans we can find for me that will work on both sides of the ocean.  Rusty was taking a while and the kiddos were getting restless so we headed out to explore the mall. 


Natalie trying out her photography skills.

I knew three stores in the mall because of our former trip, but the rest was new to me and when I say new to me I mean that I had NO idea what was in ANY of the stores.  They all have different names and are so not organized like my brain works.  Now if you have little ones this is a PROBLEM.  They are both wanting to look for this and go see that, and I haven't a clue where to find any of it.  So I tell them let's just see what we see and take it from there.  Whew!  That worked for a few minutes anyway.

I learned many many things while walking this mall.  First I learned that my little Natalie is all grown up.  She was walking around so proud and excited to see all the new things around her while Denman had a death grip on my hand.  That alone made me tear up....one finding herself through all of this and then one playing it safe.  Now before the move, when Denman would want to hold my hand I would get so aggravated because then I couldn't use both of my hands to do the million other things that I thought I needed to be doing at the time, you know calling someone else, texting, drinking something, eating a snack, etc.  However, this time it warmed my heart like I can't explain.  He was holding my hand so I could guide him and to assure him that he was safe.  It was his security.  He would always let go once we went into a store as he looked around and then he would grab my hand again as we walked out into the open area.  Priceless, sweet mommas, priceless...remember that when that little angel of yours reaches up to grab your hand.  They need you to guide them and make them feel safe.

Lesson number two that day was a little more emotional for me.  Natalie is going through a phase where she wants to do it all by herself.  I have absolutely NO idea where she got that from,  but needless to say it is in her DNA!  So she has really tried to take on jobs to help with everything.  She insisted on pulling or should I say "dragging" her luggage all through the airport when we left.  She HAS to take a purse with ALL of her belongings when we go places, and she wants to help Denman with anything that he doesn't feel like doing during the day.  So when she stops, puts her purse on the ground, and tackles my leg with the warmest hug looking at me with  her tear filled eyes every hour on the hour since we got here, I drop everything to hug her back!  If I sit back and really think about the last few months, many times she came to me with that same face and I just halfway hugged her back, and later had a temper tantrum in return.  I now realize when she hugs me that way, that is her saying I "need" you to love me right now.  I missed so many of those moments so I'm telling you watch for those precious hugs because they mean EVERYTHING to their little hearts and I am so glad my eyes are open to that now. 



And this is one of my favorite hugs with my precious Natalie!

So we finally make it through a few stores and I realize that time is going by fast and both kiddos are super hungry so I text Rusty with my million dollar a text phone and see where he is.  He has now left the first store and is now in the apple store.  Still haven't gotten what happened in that situation, but some things I just don't need to know.  So as we come into the apple store Rusty is chatting with the sales guy so the kids BOLT for the ipads.  I don't know what it is about kids and technology.  They loved the games they had on their ipads so I wrote them down so I would remember them later to add to our ipad in the hotel.  See knowing that the week ahead of me would be spent in the hotel, this little mall trip was also a,  what can I find for the kiddos to do this week trip.  I have learned quick to always write stuff down when you move to a new place.  You will never remember what you need to at the time you need it so write it down.  I even have a journal in my backpack so I always have it handy.  So three new ipad games and a UK phone later, we are ready to find out where to eat.

Both kids are screaming Pizza so we were headed to Frankie and Benny which is a place we found last time we were here.  It was so yummy and Denman ate the entire kid's pizza all on his own. I really love the kid's menus at the restaurants here.  They are full of fun facts about all of the countries around us.  It kept us all entertained and totally made me realize I have some learning to do about all of these countries.  One thing you need to know about the UK.  The service here is WAY slower than what we are used to in Texas.  They like to take life one minute at a time which is so nice, but very difficult to adjust to on our first day out and about.  Not mention that it is 3:20 and I want to get to the hotel before Briley's baptism starts. 


Eating at Frankie and Benny's

So we get to the parking garage and do the whole pay for your parking which only took us two machines and a nice lady to figure out. :)  We got to the hotel and within ten minutes the phone rings.  Now, I was texting and emailing Calli, my oldest niece, all day to see if she thought we were going to be able to facetime during the baptism, and she was completely on board.  Now if you don't know Calli, she is the sweetest thing, but when she gets something in her head, she is doing it or she will die trying.  And THAT is why I got her on the facetime train with me. :) 

As the phone began to ring we all raced for it.  It was Kera and Pastor Chad was talking to Briley about what this baptism would mean to her and to God.  So precious.  I teared up once again and couldn't believe it!  WE WERE GOING TO GET TO SEE MY SWEET BRILEY GET BAPTIZED THROUGH FACETIME!  And THAT my friends was my lesson number three.  NEVER EVER doubt our Great Lord above!  We had tried facetime a few times before and it was delayed, or didn't have sound, or just cut off completely.  But this time is was as clear as if I were sitting right there.  We got to talk to her before she went to the water, and then we got to see her get baptized.  The most precious gift of all!  So that turned my not so good day into the most amazing day an Aunt could ask for.  Thank you Kera and Scooter for making us a part of that moment.  It meant EVERYTHING to me.  You both helped God give me a WINK!

Oh and I have to say it.  I sooo love that song "Give me that Wink by Neal McCoy". :)

So lets keep in mind today...

 "Jesus said unto him, "You shall love the Lord with all of you heart, and with all of your mind, and with all of your soul.  This is the first and great commandment."  Matthew 22:37-38

Don't just trust Him a little or love Him when things are going your way.  Love Him through it all and He will show you His ultimate plan! 

If you aren't sure about all this God stuff then I ask you to do one thing.  Take the verses that stand out to you whether it is in blogs, movies, emails, or even stores because you will see them everywhere.    Then write them down and put them somewhere in your house, car, or use as a bookmark.  You, my friend, will be AMAZED at what God will do with just the verses that you write down.  He is creating a masterpiece in YOU and I don't want you to miss a piece of your puzzle. :)

Love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Justiss family. Love the journal. And the pictures. We miss all of you. Enjoy this wonderful and amazing journey. We'll see you Christmas! Love from the Porter family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the writting!! Thank you for taking the time to write these events out for us to live through you. I cannot tell you how much these things mean to me. They have been my encouragement to go on to the next day.
    Love and hugs!!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete