Natalie's first day of school!
So the time has come for my little Miss Natalie to go to Second Grade. I can't believe it. Where does the time go. When we first found out that we would be moving the first thing that scared me to death was "What about Natalie's school?" We are a Glen Loch Gator! We wear it with pride and daily if possible. Natalie passed her Kindergarten shirts to Denman and she still wears her First Grade shirts from Glen Loch. And they ALL made it to Scotland!
I don't know if you have ever had a teacher that just stole your heart from day one and then later became a HUGE part of your family, but we have. Mrs. Parker has made a MAJOR impact on Natalie and me. She didn't just teach her kids about first grade. She taught them about life. I find myself taking notes when Natalie quotes some of the things that Mrs. Parker told her. I want to be sure to remember them for the day that I walk into another classroom.
Mrs. Parker prepared my sweet Natalie for this move we were about to make and for that...I owe her everything. Natalie is still finding things around Aberdeen that she says that Mrs. Parker told her to look for and take pictures of for her. Now on that note... this "new" school has some pretty BIG shoes to fill.
Our first experience with the school was the interview with the Elementary Principal. When we first got there... Natalie was really excited. She saw the rock climbing wall and the swimming pool that they had there and couldn't wait to see the rest. Denman on the other hand wasn't so sure about everything. He was not impressed with anything but the playground so far and that was just OK, he said.
I took a few pictures of course to capture the moments so I would remember them. Denman was already not sure about this because he had to get dressed up to go. He said, "But we aren't going to church!" At least he NOW gets that we dress up for church! That was a battle all on its own!
I promise this was not staged. I said smile for me, and this is what I got.
At least they know how to express their true feelings. :)
We met with the principal and it went great. We got to see their classrooms, the playgrounds, and the lockers that they both would have. Natalie was most excited about getting her own locker. I told her that is because you have to keep your rain boots, coat, hat, and gloves in it all year just in case you need them for recess. She just thought she was so big.
When we went to look at Denman's classroom, we saw that it was only two doors down from Natalie's room. That made me feel so much better. Natalie told him, I will be right across the hall if you need me for anything. It was precious. She kept saying, "Look Denman they have a castle, you love castles." " Look Denman they have markers, you love markers." It was priceless. She is such a great big sister!
After the tour, we then went back to the main lobby and saw that they had the Olympic torch that was carried through Aberdeen. It was so neat because they got to hold it and take pictures with it. We watched a TON of the Olympics this year. It was so neat to think about how we can now cheer for USA and GB. We now have a love for both countries.
This is Natalie and Denman with the Olympic Torch.
It was almost as big as Natalie.
Denman wasn't sure he wanted to give it back.
We left that day with such excitement. Both of the kids were talking about the huge cafeteria, the fun classrooms, the new green house they had in the courtyard, and of course the playground. It was nice to hear Denman start to say good things about his new school.
This is Natalie's Playground that Denman thinks he needs to try out with his Green Arm!
The next week was New Student Orientation. Rusty and Natalie went to this while me and Denman were in the hospital. Rusty said that Natalie kept a pretty tight grip on his hand most of the time they were there. It was really busy and tons of things to mark off of the to do list so I know it was a lot to take in for Rusty and Natalie. Renee and her family were there too so I was glad to get some pictures sent to us in the hospital so I could see that sweet smile on Natalie's face.
Kaitlyn and Natalie were so excited to see each other at the New Student Orientation
Rusty got her to grin for Renee. :)
That week before school we went back to school shopping. I think my favorite part of the whole shopping trip was that Natalie wore her Glen Loch Gator shirt as we shopped for clothes for the new school year. I love that she cherishes the years spent there.
We went to MANY MANY stores to find clothes that these kids would wear to school. I have NO idea where they get their pickiness from, but I told my mom if I was like that I AM SOOO SORRY! I needed a DRINK when we got back from that adventure!
Natalie had her first day of school first. She started on a Thursday and Denman would start on the following Monday. Natalie was so excited to go. I have prayed and prayed for this move to be a smooth transition. When we got up the first day of school and Natalie's grin looked like this, my heart was full of straight JOY! The light in her eye and smile on her face let me know that she was ready to take on Second Grade.
My big Second Grader!
When we pulled up to the school, you could hear something. Natalie said, "Is that bagpipes?" We all got out of the car and Rusty said, "I think it is!" Rusty dropped us off and then went to park the car. Natalie told him that she really wanted him to come in for her first day but if he couldn't she would understand. I DO LOVE that about Aberdeen. Rusty has a lot more flexibility in his schedule and I know it meant the world to Natalie for him to be there.
As we kept walking toward the school, the bagpipes kept getting louder and louder. Natalie was almost running to see who it was playing the bagpipes. It was so neat. I was having to pull Denman along because he was not excited about having a day without Natalie at home with him. When we got to the front of the school, the bagpipes were right there. Denman loves that they wear kilts here. He has also notices that they all have a knife in one of their boots too. He seems to think he needs one of those. LOL
Natalie said they were so loud when I had her stand beside him as he played.
It was beautiful!
When we walked in Keely and Kaitlyn were already there with Renee, her mom, and Sammy. We went to talk to them and wish them a happy first day of school. It was super busy in the lobby so we didn't get to chat long, but I was so glad that they all got to see a familiar face before they walked into their classrooms. :)
This is Natalie, Keeley, and Kaitln
Next we went into Natalie's room so she could put all of her things away before the school day got started. Her teacher was going to be Mrs. Newbury and she is the sweetest!
Mrs. Newbury stopped to take a picture for us before she started putting things away.
Natalie found her tray and put all her things inside.
I love that she re-organized them all three times before she was ready to move on.
Love this precious girl!
Next we head to the locker. She is beside a girl named Nico which Natalie thought was so neat because of a boy Nico she had in her class last year. She later that day told me that Nico came up to her and said, "Well Natalie, it looks like you and me are going to be great friends." Such a blessing to hear that after her first day of school. :)
I love this picture. Natalie threw her stuff in her locker and Rusty had to show her how to put it all in there just right. It was so funny. I love Natalie's face too. LOL!
She changed it back to how she wanted it before she closed the locker.
Natalie then turned and gave Rusty the SWEETEST hug but I only caught the end of it.
I was FIGHTING the BEAST!!!! That would be Denman... HE was NOT excited about Natalie getting so much attention.
This was right before she went into her classroom.
Denman was not up for picture taking.
As we walked away, Mrs. Newbury took Natalie by the hand and her day had begun.
My precious princess was all grown up. I was so proud of her courage and independence that she had that day.
We then took Rusty to work and then headed for coffee with Renee because both of her girls were now in school so we needed to stay busy so we didn't think about not having our little angels with us.
Denman got spoiled ROTTEN! He got juice and brownie for breakfast just so I could actually have an ENTIRE cup of coffee without having to leave. It totally worked!
We drove by Drum's Castle that day too to see where it was so we could go back and visit it one weekend.
After breakfast, we went to Mains of Drum which is one of the stores that has American food in it. I had a BLAST! We got maple syrup, bisquick, welch's grape jelly, york pepermint patties, cheetos, and mac and cheese. It was AWESOME! It is soo expensive but I thought it was a great day to feel American. :)
Then Renee asked Denman where we should eat lunch and of course he yells...PIZZA! So we then headed to a Pizza Express that was delicious. I think I must be a little Italian too because I LOVE Bruchetta. That is my new favorite appetizer now that I can get queso!
Denman ate all of his pizza so they brought him a chocolate Sunday. He is going to want Natalie to go to school EVERY day now.
I must say the best part of the WHOLE day was pick up time. Denman ran to the doors at the school and sat down so patiently until Natalie got out of class. When he saw her, they ran to each other and gave each other the biggest hugs ever. It was one of those hugs where they hold on tight and close their eyes. It just made my day! I only caught the end of this hug too, but check out those smiles. :)
My little blessings!
As we walked back to the car after pick up, we passed by this green slug bug. Denman yelled SLUG BUG! And Natalie turned to me and said, "Look mom there is our God Wink!" When we would drop off and pick up at Glen Loch, every day we would see who would get the green slug bug first. It was almost ALWAYS Denman in the mornings, and Jack in the afternoons because Natalie and Alyssa were busy talking about their day and Denman was listening. It just made our day complete to see a little piece of home.
We are so excited to have a green slug bug here in Aberdeen too!
We then gathered up our troops and headed to get some ice cream to celebrate this beautiful day! The sun likes to hide out in Aberdeen, but it was out all afternoon so we were headed to enjoy it.
We met Jennifer, Renee, and Emily out for ice cream and the kids just had a ball.
Ice Cream makes every day FUN!
I just love my monkeys!
My Aberdeen girls.
Jennifer, Renee, Renee's mom and Emily
I know it is going to be such an amazing year! I am so grateful for a group of moms and kids to take with us on this journey. I know the memories will last a lifetime. Come and visit us soon Tracy!
No comments:
Post a Comment